Nominations are welcome from any professional in the arts (or related fields) who has a working knowledge of a theatre director's role and responsibilities. This program also accepts self-nomination. Refer to the eligibility requirements and selection criteria below before selecting a candidate. Please note that nominators are limited to submitting one nomination.
The deadline for submitting a nomination is Friday, January 21, 2022 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time
Only nominated candidates may apply for the Alan Schneider Director Award. Eligible nominees must be:
- US-based freelance, mid-career theatre directors with a commitment to work in the not-for profit professional theatre;
- Able to illustrate a history of continual freelance work as a director within a specific U.S. region or territory;
- Able to show their commitment to freelance directing. Artistic directors are not eligible, but other artists who hold full-time positions within artistic organizations and who are currently working as freelance directors are eligible;
- Able to receive taxable income in the US.
Selection Process and Criteria
The Alan Schneider Director Award recipient is chosen by an independent selection panel of theatre professionals from across the U.S. Nominees interested in applying will be asked to submit material describing the nature of their work and their artistic goals. All materials, including the nominee’s application, letters of recommendation and the original nomination form, will be forwarded to a preliminary panel, which will choose the finalists to be interviewed.
In choosing the recipient, the panelists will consider the following set of criteria:
- A clearly defined artistic voice;
- Directing skills, talent and professional experience;
- Potential for future impact on the theatre field;
- Clear and appropriate use of funds;
- Commitment to a career as a freelance director in the not-for-profit professional theatre;
- Need for national visibility provided by the award.
The award will be presented during the TCG National Conference in Pittsburgh, PA from June 16 - 18, 2022. The recipient must be present at the Conference to receive the award. The recipient will receive $7,500 which may be used for travel, research or other activities specifically focused on the development of their directing craft and career. Award activities must be completed by June 2023.
If you have any questions, please contact Raksak Kongseng (she/they), TCG's Assistant Director of Grantmaking Programs, at email@example.com
Past Recipients of the Alan Schneider Award
A complete list of past recipients of the Alan Schneider Award can be found here.