In 2023, Rising Leaders of Color (RLC) will form a cohort of three exceptionally talented early-career journalists and critics of color who are committed to uplifting the stories of BIPOC and Black theatres, Indigenous theatres and all other Theatres of Color (BITOC); upholding equitable practices in the U.S. theatre field; and who demonstrate the potential to impact the theatre field in a positive way.
In addition to those currently working as writers, RLC also encourages applicants who may not formally identify themselves as a journalist and/or critic, but who are committed to examining theatre-making; opening dialogue about the relevance of theatre in today’s cultural landscape; and who are interested in reinventing the definition of journalism and cultural criticism.
RLC believes that writers of all formats can be cultural mirrors — short-form (social media and social networking, spoken word and poetry) as well as long-form (blogs, podcasts, articles, op-ed, essays, etc.)
Deadline (extended): Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 11:59pm ET.
(Please note the time zone.)
Joining the Rising Leaders of Color cohort includes:
- · Professional development activities during the 2023-24 program period;
- · Registration (including transportation) for the National Critics Institute at the Eugene O’Neill Theater Center;
- · Individual writing included in American Theatre magazine and on TCG’s social media and social networking platforms;
- · Networking opportunities with veteran leaders in the field and a national network of peers;
- · One-on-one career counseling with TCG staff;
- · One-year subscription to American Theatre magazine (online);
- · One-year subscription to ARTSEARCH®;
- RLC Toolkit, including publications and resource materials.
TCG was honored to speak on Instagram Live with Cristina Pla-Guzman and TJ Acena about their experiences with the RLC program and how it shaped their journeys as journalists. Watch the IG Live
TCG also hosted a virtual information session about the RLC program to give a complete overview of the program and answer any questions that individuals had about the process. View the Info Session