Each year hundreds of theatre professionals gather to share models, build community and work together to strengthen the theatre field, and this impressive gathering couldn’t happen without the help of an amazing group of volunteers.
Volunteering at the TCG National Conference is a great way for students, young professionals and other avid supporters of not-for-profit theatre to experience the Conference and stay connected to the theatre field. The policies below outline guidelines and procedures that will allow the TCG Conference Volunteer Program to be beneficial to both TCG and its volunteers. The deadline for all volunteer applications for the 2019 TCG National Conference in Miami, FL has passed.
- Volunteers for TCG's National Conference must meet at least one of the following eligibility criteria:
- Enrolled as either a full-time or part-time student at a post-secondary institution, as either a graduate or undergraduate studying arts administration or other applicable theatre arts field;
- Currently working as an intern, either paid or volunteer, for a fixed term, with a theatre organization, including a TCG Member Theatre;
- Not currently employed in the theatre sector but actively involved or seeking employment in this sector;
- Employed part-time in the theatre sector, including a TCG Member Theatre.
- Individuals employed full-time at a TCG Member Theatre are not eligible to volunteer at the Conference. All volunteers will be required to work a minimum of eight (8) hours over the course of the three-day Conference in order to participate in the volunteer program. Please read on for the benefits of becoming a volunteer at the TCG Conference.
Volunteer Responsibilities & Benefits
For a list of roles that may be assigned to TCG volunteers during the Conference, please click here.
Volunteers, like TCG staff members, are considered representatives of TCG for the entirety of the Conference, and they are asked to present themselves accordingly. In exchange for their service, volunteers will receive a complimentary registration to the Conference. This registration is contingent upon the volunteer meeting all expectations outlined below, and it may be revoked at any time by TCG if the volunteer fails to meet these expectations:
All volunteers are expected to perform a minimum of eight hours of service during the Conference. Upon being accepted as a volunteer for this year’s Conference, volunteers will be asked to sign up for shifts throughout the Conference programming. If conflicts arise that will prevent a volunteer from meeting his or her minimum requirement of hours, registration privileges may be revoked. Volunteers are expected to communicate all schedule changes that deviate from their applications to TCG as such changes arise.
All volunteers are required to attend a mandatory Volunteer Orientation that will be held 1-2 days before the start of the Conference, for a duration of 60-90 minutes.
Volunteers should dress in business casual attire and should avoid garments with logos or other branding from theatre companies, vendors, or other organizations. Volunteers may be asked to move chairs and other light furniture or to stand for the duration of a shift, so shoes and clothing that are appropriate to these activities should be worn.
Participation in Sessions
Assigned Sessions: While volunteers are on duty they are expected to refrain from participating in sessions unless specifically requested to do so by the session leader or a TCG staff member.
Unassigned Sessions: Volunteers are welcome to attend any sessions that do not conflict with their volunteer schedule. While volunteers may participate in discussions and/or Q&A periods during these sessions, they should keep in mind that as volunteers they represent TCG. Any opinions expressed by a volunteer may be interpreted as the opinion of TCG, and volunteers are asked to remain mindful of this perception.
Volunteers will receive all available Conference meals as a part of their volunteer service; however volunteers should not eat while on duty. If a volunteer's assignment coincides with a meal time, the volunteer should make arrangements to eat before or after the scheduled shift. If back-to-back duties do not leave sufficient time for meals, volunteers should let TCG staff know so special arrangements can be made.
Apply to Volunteer
The deadline for all volunteer applications for the 2019 TCG National Conference in Miami, FL has passed. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.